GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), glycine, and L-theanine make up our famous Sleep Well Drinks and Jelly Sticks and are all compounds that have been studied for their potential benefits in promoting sleep and relaxation. We have found that combining these ingredients, they work together synergistically and maximize the benefits. While individual responses may vary, here are the general benefits associated with each of these substances:
- GABA: GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain that helps regulate neuronal excitability. It is known to have calming effects and is often used as a natural sleep aid. The benefits of GABA for sleep include:
- Promotes relaxation: GABA can help reduce anxiety and induce a sense of calmness, making it easier to fall asleep.
- Improves sleep quality: By reducing neural activity, GABA may help improve the quality of sleep, leading to a more restful and rejuvenating experience.
- Reduces sleep latency: GABA can help shorten the time it takes to fall asleep, potentially reducing sleep onset latency.
- Glycine: Glycine is an amino acid that acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. It plays a role in regulating sleep and wake cycles. Some benefits of glycine for sleep include:
- Enhances sleep quality: Glycine has been shown to improve sleep quality by reducing body movements during sleep and promoting deep, restorative sleep stages.
- Decreases sleep latency: Glycine may help you fall asleep faster by reducing the time it takes to transition from wakefulness to sleep.
- Improves daytime alertness: Better sleep quality with glycine supplementation can lead to increased daytime alertness and cognitive function.
- L-theanine: L-theanine is an amino acid primarily found in tea leaves, particularly in green tea. It has a calming effect on the brain and is often used to promote relaxation. Some benefits of L-theanine for sleep include:
- Promotes relaxation: L-theanine can increase the production of alpha brain waves, which are associated with a state of relaxation and wakeful relaxation.
- Reduces anxiety: L-theanine has been shown to have anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects, potentially reducing racing thoughts and promoting a calm mental state conducive to sleep.
- Improves sleep quality: L-theanine may help improve sleep quality by reducing nighttime awakenings and promoting deep, uninterrupted sleep.
It's worth noting that individual responses to these substances may vary, and their effectiveness can be influenced by factors such as dosage, timing, and individual biochemistry. It's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplements, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions or are taking medications.